Forum

relative to the mounting position of the generator  

RSS

tessen
(@tessen)
06/11/2018 10:09 pm  

Hi Mike

In the manual recommend to mount the generator in horizontal and forbidden upside down, but,  could i install it vertically?, with the front facing down, i prefer this config due to mi current generator have this config and I can adapt it more easily. I suppose in this config there are no problem with the refrigeration and I could clearly see the led for the error / fault status inside the cabinet.

regards

mikebax
(@mikebax)
Member Admin
06/11/2018 10:40 pm  

Hi,

Equipment in 19 inch racks is almost always mounted horizontally. I have performed temperature testing only in the horizontal position. At this moment I can therefore not guarantee that mounting it vertically will not cause problems. Therefore, I advice not to mount vertically until I have tested it.

In particular, there is one small heatsink inside that relies on natural convection (it does not use a fan), and convection only works horizontally. 

I will test it and let you know.

This post was modified 11 months ago by mikebax

ReplyQuote
mashinada
(@mashinada)
28/11/2018 11:24 am  

Hi Mike,

What about turn from recomended on right or left  side ?Could you also check these mounting positions?

Best regards

ReplyQuote
mikebax
(@mikebax)
Member Admin
28/11/2018 3:25 pm  

Hi,

I've been looking into the mounting questions. The BX17 uses 4 internal DIN rail power supplies. The 3 big ones on the right are cooled by a fan from the bottom, so these do not rely on convection. The small one on the left relies on convection, so this one might get too hot if not installed horizontally. However its full load is never used, unless the 12V warning output is heavily loaded.

So I think mounting the BX17 on it side will not cause excessive heating, however it will rise the temperature and will therefore negatively imact product lifetime. So only mount the BX17 on its LEFT side if there really is no other option to mount it

Note that the BX17 was designed to be installed in a 19" standard rack. These racks always require horizontal installation of the 19" submodules. 

Regards,

M

This post was modified 10 months ago by mikebax

ReplyQuote
Share: